I have been an Associate Governor since autumn 2016. We have been in Hovingham for over 25 years, where I am a Churchwarden and member of the PCC. I am also familiar with this area as my grandparents lived in Crayke where I spent school holidays. My mother was a Head teacher at a small Primary School in Apperknowle. I have 3 adult children and 3 grandchildren – 2 teenagers and a 5 year old. I spent my working life in North Kensington as a GP, and latterly I specialised in drug and alcohol problems. I continue to be involved with a charity in this field. I was a recognised teacher of medicine for the University of London (Imperial College Medical School). I enjoy music, art, theatre and travel. I am the LA governor with a responsibility for SEND .
Term of Office – 03.05.2017 – 06.06.2025
Co-Opted Governor (Chair) and Link Governor for Curriculum
I am retired and live in Hovingham and was formerly involved in managing a family manufacturing business in Scarborough. I was also a North Yorkshire Magistrate for many years, with a special interest in the family court. I have four adult daughters and three grandchildren Among my interests are gardening, cooking, wildlife and the countryside. I also volunteer with a Community Library and a Food Waste project, the Malton Free Fridge.
As a co-opted governor, I am elected by the existing members of the Governing Body.
Term of Office – 13.01.2020 – 12.01.2024
Co-Opted Governor (Co-Vice Chair)
I moved to Hovingham with my husband in April 2014 after retiring from teaching at the International School of Dusseldorf. I played an instrumental role in developing their Outdoor Learning Programme which began in the Reception class. I have three grown up children and four grandchildren – two of primary school age and two pre-school age.
I enjoy gardening, hiking, bird watching, being outdoors in nature and spending time with my family.
As a co-opted governor, I am elected by the existing members of the Governing body.
Elected on 22.10.2020
I have been a teacher at St Hilda’s since April 2016, and became Staff Governor in June 2019. I currently teach the EYFS children with the addition of the KS1 children on 2 afternoons for ICT, History, Geography and RE and I also take KS2 for RE on a Friday afternoon. I have always been local, living in Pickering for most of my life, and now in Malton with my partner, Adam. I enjoy baking if/when I get the chance, which my colleagues occasionally get to sample and I have always had a love for reading, particularly fictional stories.
Term of Office – 07.06.19 – 06.06.23
Mrs Lucy Willshaw
Ex-Officio Foundation Governor (Co-Vice Chair)
At the beginning of September 2020 I began a new, full time role, of working with youth, children and families within a group of local parishes including the Ampleforth Benefice. Prior to this I worked for a local educational project writing and designing resources to support the teaching of Christianity in the school curriculum. I originally trained as a primary school teacher and have over fifteen years of teaching experience encompassing all year groups. I am also a licensed Reader in the Church of England.
In my spare time I have been known to tread the boards at Helmsley Arts’ Centre and I also love reading and the outdoors.
I live in Helmsley with my husband and two children.
Elected on 30.10.2020
Term of Office – 21.03.22 –
Term of Office – 21.03.22 –
I was brought up in North Yorkshire and have recently returned after 30 years, moving to Fryton in 2021.
A career Civil Servant I have a wealth of knowledge and experience in people and change management, administration, and all aspects of food, farming and rural life
My interests include walking, cooking, gardening, wildlife, and the countryside.
Since Hovingham and St Hilda’s became federated on the 1st April 2015, the governing body has decided to operate without a committee structure as it has done previously. The whole governing body will now meet 9 times a year, with all governors involved in all aspects of work, including curriculum, standards, finance and strategic planning.
There are no other relationships between Governors and members of the school staff and no Governor is on the Governing Body of another school.
The Chair can be contacted either through the school office or via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous Members of the Governing Body
In the past 12 months, the following have served on the Governing Body but have now stepped down from their role.
- Liz Bassindale – Associate Member. Elected on 23.10.20. Stepped down 21.03.22.
- Clare Almond – Co-opted Governor (Chair) – Elected on 19.10.2016. Stepped down 25.01.2022.
- Laura Festa – Parent Governor – Elected on 14.09.21. Stepped down 23.11.21.
- Adrian Bond – Co-opted Governor (Chair) – Elected on 22.10.20. Stepped down 07.06.2021.
- Jane Conacher- Parent Governor (Link Governor for Early Years) – Stepped down 24.05.2021.
- Rev. Martin Allwood – Associate Member – Stepped down 31.10.2020.
- Martyn Boothroyd – Foundation Governor – Term of Office – 02.11.2018 – 01.11.2022. Stepped down 23rd Sept. 2020.
- Andrew Reid – Foundation Governor – 01.11.17 – 31.10.21 – Stepped down 17th July 2020.
- Rosalind Garnish – Associate Member – 03.05.2017 – Stepped down 17th July 2020.
- Keith Johnson – Co-opted Governor – Stepped down 22nd January 2020.
- Rachel Bell – Co-opted Governor – Term of Office – 19.10.2016 – 18.10.2020 – Stepped down 16th October 2019.
- Victoria Forrester – Chair of Governors – Term of Office – 03.12.2018 – 01.12.2022 – Stepped down 18th September 2019.
- Lynn Lealman – Co-opted Governor – Term of Office – 01.04.2015 – 31.03.2019.
- Julie Caddy – Staff Governor – Term of Office – 05.06.2017 – 04.06.2021 – Stepped down 21st January 2019.
- Mark Wilson – Chairman of Governors, stepped down from the Governing Body July 2018.
- Freda Shaw – Foundation Governor (Link Governor for RE & Pupil Premium) stepped down on 18th September 2017.
- Sallie Harland – Former Staff Governor who stepped down on 31st May 2017.
- Andrew Coultard – Co-opted on 13th January 2016 and it was minuted on 25th May 2016 that he stepped down.
- Jane Holloway – Co-opted. Vice Chair of Governors – Term of Office – 01.04.2015 – 31.08.2016.
- Rev. Sue Bond (Past Associate Governor) – Retired Summer 2016.